Although I love savoury tarts, recently I wanted to create something that was a little different in appearance. As I love baking cupcakes I thought why not make a savoury cupcake?
We have a lot of customers asking for wheat and gluten-free food that looks great too. In my experience ‘healthier’ food is not always the most attractive – especially in health food shops – but there’s no reason for this at all.
So, here is the recipe for my savoury cupcake – enjoy!
- 500g hard ricotta (fresh ricotta not the supermarket variety found in tubs)
- 100g of freshly-grated parmesan cheese
- 8 roughly-chopped chargrilled artichokes (2 of which are for decoration at the end)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons of hot milk
- A pinch of saffron
- 6 sundried tomatoes
- black olives
- Push the ricotta through a sieve into a bowl.
- Mix this with the parmesan, eggs and roughly chopped artichokes.
- Dissolve the saffron in hot milk, then add to the ricotta mixture.
- Add salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste.
- Put the mixture into a non-stick muffin tray. These quantities should make between 4-6 muffins (depending on size).
- Bake in the oven at 180 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden and firm to the touch.
- Let them cool in the tray, then remove and decorate with the 2 final artichokes (roughly chopped), the sun-dried tomatoes, black olive and parsley.
- Serve and enjoy!